Master Cleanse Forum - Master Cleanser Lemonade Diet

Success Stories, Questions & Support
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:59 am 

floatinginspace wrote:
i love kari.
she is the one who introduced me to this and the best girl ever.
she knows what she is talking about, listen to her.
and she is sweet as a cookiebutton (an organic cookie button, p.s. what is a cookie button)?

i don't know what it is, but i suspect a cookiebutton is similar to the little pea sized babypancakes i sometimes find attached to the frozen gluten-free waffles i buy once in a while... but i'm honored to be compared to one whatever it is!

:D

Post subject: Re: hmmm
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:22 am 

sugarcookieboo wrote:
I read that book, I know the rules but umm i just don't understand why you can't use other ORGANIC citrus like Grapefruit? :? I also know that you can use regular lemon(non-organic) and get the same results. I know exactly why thanks to AP Biology 2. Imean grapefriut actually has better nutrients than lemons... :?: hmmm

When you get further along in your studies, beyond AP Biology, and delve into the world of nutrition, chemistry, and the countless volumes of research on the pros and cons of pesticides and organic farming on a molecular, systemic, and even environmental level, you will have a better understanding of why organic lemons are NOT the same as non-organic lemons. Furthermore, as a person who simply cannot be exposed to pesticides and a number of other chemical compounds without exhibiting a slew of unpleasant side effects (whoopee!), I can personally attest to the fact that one should NOT use non-organic lemons or limes during the MC (or at any other time, in my opinion).

Now as for the use of lemons as opposed to grapefruits - the purpose of the lemon in the MC goes beyond nutritional content. Foods differ in more than just nutrients. Factors such as the acidity of lemons and limes (very similar, and very acidic at around 1.83-2.80) as compared to other citrus fruits like grapefruits and oranges, which are still acidic, but less so, by about 2 degrees (usually in the range of 3.65-4.40). May not sound like much, but when you're talking body chemistry a change of .01 can make the difference between an enzyme's function or complete and total degradation! There are other things that make grapefruits and lemons very different, but I think you get the idea. :)

If you don't like the MC as it has been laid out for you, you don't have to do it! It would be better for you to not engage in an untested, untried fasting experiment on your body then to go altering ingredients and methods of something like the MC which has your body fasting and going through heavy detox and elimination for 10 days or more. Do not underestimate the potential to do great harm to your body by improper fasting and internal cleansing. People often take the MC and other fasts too lightly - bodies were designed to run on fuel and to engage in a biologically preordained cycle of processes. Taking control of these cycles and processes via fasting should be taken very seriously, you are truly altering the way your body naturally "wants" to function for a set length of time and this should only be done with the utmost care and attention to detail.

Take care all y'all!
I begin my big fast of the year soon... I am hoping tomorrow!
(and then I'll be around to harass you much more frequently)

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:54 am 

omg, i LOVE baby pancakes, i totally know what you are talking about, they are such a doll house treat!

Post subject: Day 8 and depressed!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:05 am 

I am depressed because today when I got home from class I ate about a cup of cream corn. I have decided to continue though. I am attempting a 40 day cleanse. Should I expect a decrease in my detox because I ate something? If so is there anything I can do to make up for it? Thanks a lot for the information that you posted, it was very helpful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:44 am 

If I were you, I would take a dose of live probiotics, spend the rest of the day drinking lemonade tonic and a lot of water and take it easy. I don't know how far along you are - if it's just the beginning, first week or so, you should be OK to continue. If you were farther along, see how you feel in the morning. You'll probably be fine. But ultimately you should probably consider tomorrow Day 1, as you have now given your body the ability to stop cleansing and its focusing on digesting, absorbing, storing, and eliminating a can of creamed corn... You'll basically be going through the first few stages of the cleanse again until the body is through with that corn and can get back to running off of stored fat, may take a day, may take a week. Doesn't quite seem worth it, huh? :)

I think we've all caved on a fast for some item that, in hindsight, we thought "Man! I can't believe I caved for that!!!"
(I know I have)

:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:38 am 

I understand that this cleanse is primarily to become healthier and to rid your body of toxins, but i don't think people who want to use the cleanse for weight loss are in the wrong. I mean, you get the effects of a healthier body either way. and losing weight not only makes people look good, but also feel a lot better, physically. being overweight causes a lot of problems in a person's body, so I think people who use MC to drop to a healthier weight are just as justified for being on the program as those who do it for other reasons.

Post subject: Re: For all you newcomers I thought I'd share... by Kari Jo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:43 am 

from a newcomer, (today!!) thank you for this post!! Yes, I'm trying to live a healthier lifestyle, but I need to lose weight in order to do so! We all have our own motivations :)

twinmom wrote:
holly0228 wrote:
Thank you for posting this. I'm getting tired of reading of the people who are straying from the cleanse and others who are using it as a diet for weight loss. To each his own but it is nice to see that some of us are truly motivated by the healthy aspects of the cleanse and continue a healthy diet and do the best to live toxin free afterwards. Thanks again for taking the time to reiterate that. :D

Now now........who are any of us to question the motives of anyone doing or trying to stay on the cleanse?? I am the first to admit that my motives are to loss weight. With saying that, that is what encouraged me to do this cleanse and I am hoping that I will be enlightened as I progress. Isn't it suffice to say that whatever drives us, if we stick to the cleanse, won't we all also enjoy the benefits that it offers?? And as far as "straying"? If there is a way to make things a bit more manageable as opposed to vomiting up a quart of salt water, is that wrong?? Holly, perhaps you should re-read your post from a NEWCOMERS perspective and you too may find it to sound a bit patronizing. Wouldn't it be a perfect world if we could all have pure intent in all we do, but how about gentle support. The "healthy aspects of the cleanse" are there for us all to enjoy, but not one of us is better than the other due to intention. I apoligize for sounding harsh, however, I have a real hard time with holier-than-thou attitudes, especially when it comes to "support forums".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:54 am 

wow!! i just realized this thread was started over a year ago! ha

well, this answers my questions about salt flush!

i just don't know why drinking the salt doesn't work for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:45 am 

I'd like to point out the reason why I, and others, stress that fasting (of any type) is a poor choice for those who's main priority is weight loss.

When a person fasts a lot of wonderful things happen. You take control (and responsibility) for the metabolic processes and natural cycles of your body that are normally on auto-pilot. Doing so enables us to focus the body's energies on particular organs or systems (in the case of juice fasting), or on the elimination of stored fat in an effort to release toxins (in the case of the MC). Weight loss is the key component of the Master Cleanse, it is the only way the MC can actually work. It is through the release of stored fat and shrinkage of our fat cells that a lifetime of stored toxins can be effectively flushed out of the system. (Otherwise the body simply just "can't reach them" so to speak).

MOST MC'ers are thrilled by the pounds of weight loss - but here is the catch. Biologically, the way our bodies are designed, as soon as you re-enter the world of eating (after ANY length of fast), your body is immediately lurched into rebuild mode. You've lost a LOT, and quickly, your body wants to quickly replenish what you've lost. Many people find increased hunger and cravings for fatty, sugary foods post-fast. Post-fast is more difficult for many than the actual fast!

This presents a very difficult challenge for those who wish to see their weight loss as permanent, and can lead to disappointment as the pounds return as quickly as they came off. This is why what you eat post-fast is so very important. Returning to pre-fast weight should be accomplished slowly, with only the healthiest of ingredients, fresh whole fruits and vegetables, whole grains, leafy greens. Many choose a predominantly raw and vegan diet for 1 - 2 months post-fast for this reason.

If you want the weight loss to be long term - do not think you can fast and then return to the ways that got you to your high weight. I only coach fasters listing weight loss as their main goal if they are truly ready to commit to a lifestyle change post-fast. This means totally revamping how, when, and what they eat. If you're not ready for a major overhaul post-fast then don't do it for weight loss. Your results will be short-lived. Long term weight loss is best obtained through good old diet an exercise, not fasting.

Raw vegans with limited gluten intake (eat very few grains) are the among only people who I ever see maintain most to all of fasting weight loss. For everyone else it is a big struggle, but can be accomplished through diligence, commitment, and very careful eating.

:)

Hope this helps. It is truly not out of a 'holier than thou' attitude that people stress that fasting is not for those seeking a quick fix to weight loss...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:46 am 

Thanks soooo much for writing this. I will officially begin MC tomorrow. I have tried to educate myself and gain strength from this forum in order to prepare. Your post has been the most helpful and ecouraging. THANX, THANX, THANX SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! I am ready to begin. :)

dan wrote:
karijo wrote:
For all you newcomers I thought I'd share a few things:

-Please follow the MC to the letter, as Mr. Burroughs intended. There is no need to add or take away anything from the program, doing so can compromise the success of your cleanse and even your health.

-If you are on ANY medication, talk to your doctor BEFORE starting the MC, as the cleanse can render many medications (like birth control pills!) ineffective, or otherwise interfere with the drugs you are taking. Especially speak with your regular doctor if you plan to stop taking any meds while on the cleanse!

-Probiotics after any cleanse are imperative. You can search the forum for more details but suffice to say that without them you can get very sick by allowing bad bacteria to take control of your digestive tract once the cleanse ends. Have these on hand BEFORE you begin the cleanse, so that if you fall short of your goal you have them ready and waiting.

-Remember that the Tea is designed to loosen and the Salt Water flushes. Either part taken without the other is only half as effective. Even though the book says you can sub the tea if you must for the SW, he does not mean every day - it's more of an emergency alternative for when you simply cannot do the SWF for some reason.

-Organic lemons are key, as non-organic lemons are loaded with chemicals you are trying to rid your body of. No point in cleansing if you are going to use chemical-laden fruit. YES, the chemicals and toxins DO get into the fruit. Lemon skin is porous, things seep in, and the ground non-organic fruit is grown in is also rich in toxins which seep up into the plant with its water intake.

-You should make your lemonade as close to the time you intend to drink it as possible. That said, it is acceptable to squeeze your lemon juice in the morning for the day's tonic. You could then bring the juice, water, maple, and cayenne with you in separate containers, mixing as needed during the day. I like to squeeze a day's worth of lemons in the morning, then prepare two 3-glass batches to bring to work/school as breakfast and lunch, waiting until the time I am drinking to add the cayenne so it doesn't sit and get too spicy. When I get home I make one or two more glasses of tonic for dinner to use up the rest of the lemon juice. This way its all as fresh as possible - within reason of our busy schedules!

-Remember 10 days is the suggested minimum. I always liken it to the first 20 minutes of any workout at the gym - relatively useless on it's own, it's a warm-up period for your body and it's what happens after that warm-up that is really where the benefits and action happen. Ten days is the time it takes to flush the digestive tract out and for your body to fully switch over to using it's fat resources for energy, thereby releasing toxins stored within. The longer past 10 days you go, the more cleansed your body will become, and the more deeply stored toxins will be able to be removed. Give your body a chance to really cleanse, you won't regret it!

-PLEASE READ THE BOOK! So many questions are answered there, and you can save yourself a lot of time and effort trying to figure things out on your own. Plus, there is a lot of important information about properly breaking the fast.

-YES:
use bottled/filtered/distilled water
use fresh lemons
drink all of the salt water mix
you can cut your maple syrup qty in half to induce greater weight loss if needed (i go full strength the first 3 days to get me through!)

-DONT:
skip steps
alter ingredients or formulas
add supplements not part of the cleanse
mistake detox symptoms for "being sick"!!!

The first 3 days are the worst (2 and 3 typically). Expect headaches, nausea, and flu-like symptoms. The first load of toxins to go are those readily accessible in your digestive tract. As these loosen and flush out, you will feel the effects! Caffeine withdrawal also hurts! As the detox progresses, it's not over! As your body uses up stored fat, stored toxins are also released into the system creating periods of detox symptoms. Landmark days tend to be 5, 7, 10, and then intermittent periods throughout the rest of a lengthy cleanse. Don't give up and mistake these cleansing waves as "My body is telling me to stop" or "The detox is making me sick"! Your body is just getting RID of The Sick and you're going to feel it. Always drink a lot of water and take it easy. The more water you drink, the faster these symptoms will pass.

I hope all this info helps, I am sure other MC'ers will have pearls of wisdom to share, but I thought I'd get this out there for anyone new.
We're all going to do fantastic!

Kari Jo
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:40 am 

You're going to do fantastic!
Best of luck!

Post subject: Ending the Cleanse
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:17 am 

I am just wondering about the reccomended 10 days, if I start on the orange juice on day 9, OJ and broth on 10, will this still be effective? I only ask because I have a walk relay I have commited to on my day 11 (which will be day one of OJ) and I think I'll need some extra energy, but I don't want to hinder the results.
Any feedback would be great!

Post subject: Read with interest but-
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:34 am 

I think everyone will try to stick to the mc as much as possible, however I myself have a health problem so have had to modify a little (cannot do swf), I'm now also taking oxy powder every few days with lax tea to help me 'clean out'. I had to as I could not tolerate the swf.

I am terribly intolorant to sugar and carbs having pcos.

So instead on fruit juice, I will use veg juice when I come off etc. and will be likely unable to follow a vegetarian diet per say as I have to go on to low carbs type diet after the juice (atkins type) or I will be unwell and gain weight. I was vegetarian for 10 years and gained weight at this time- big time. My body doesnt react in the normal way to carbs.

I think if you do have to modify things slightly to your health body needs- its not a terrible thing. We dont all come as 'bog standard'.

Is it such a big issue if someone wants to do this to loose exess weight thats bad for their health and possibly causing health problems?
I myself could not condemn them...

Whatever works for you is my motto :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:52 pm 

Hi epona,
Your concerns about carbs & sweet fruit (fresh orange juice) reminded me of my hypoglycemia. My body is also intolerant of sugar and refined carbs.

Before I did the MC, I had never fasted because I figured my hypoglycemia symptoms would become extreme. My body is significantly affected by sugars and refined (simple) carbs. I use frequent snacks w/protein throughout the day to keep my insulin and blood sugar levels from spiking.

On the MC I didn't have any issues. After my 10 day-fast, I squeeded fresh orange juice and diluted it with distilled water so it wouldn't be so sweet. Worked fine.

I share this to hopefully ease some concerns you might have.

Post subject: New to MC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:47 pm 

I read the book written by Stanley Burroughs before I started this and he was pretty lenient about some of the facts. For one, he said it was ok to flush in the evening, he certainly did because he was not a morning person! I am sure a lot of people can agree. I have not used the laxative tea also because it was optional - the SWF works amazingly well!!!

Also he stated the cayenne can be used as much or as little as one can stand, I know that and the maple syrup are my biggest problems. I do not care for sweet drink nor super spicy stuff.

I have done my cleanse for 5 days and am concluding it at this point. Any advice on the ease out after 5 days will be greatly appreciated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next