[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Master Cleanse Forum - Master Cleanser Lemonade Diet • View topic - Incomplete colon cleanse and fluid retention

Master Cleanse Forum - Master Cleanser Lemonade Diet

Success Stories, Questions & Support
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: Incomplete colon cleanse and fluid retention
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:41 pm 

Hi,

I am on the 10th day of the Master cleanse and have severe bloating/ edema in the legs, stomach. Have been drinking (sipping not lugging) the
glasses of lemonade, sipping 4 ounces of water ever hour. (I am a very shy person and felt very conscious discussing trouble
with elimination so did not post earlier- but it was a big blunder)

I carried instructions perfectly, and everything was perfect for the first 5 days (almost exactly like given in the forum and I lost 7 pounds).
on the 5th day after the SWF, I passed clear water from the anus (not yellow- but no stool). Same evening my leg had slight edema-
I checked the forum and saw that this is normal. (I did not use enema- but did the SWF)

I increased my input of psyllium husk/ bentonite/ triphala tea and again carried out the SWF the next (6th( morning.
I had minor stools (but not much), but this time passed some yellow "butt-pee" many time- I felt there was
some stool that could not come but felt that the impacted stool would come off the next day. There was significant bloating.
(I had added 5 lbs over my staring weight.

My blood pressure began increasing and a great part of the salt water was getting retained. I went to the emergency room for
high blood pressure (125/187) and tightness in the head and visual changes. I stopped the SWF and started taking only
triphala tea twice to reduce sodium due to the fluid and also tried an enema (but it was not able to disloge-. The triphala helped partially and reduced the blood pressure but I was having annoying
(very little by little) diarrea . The ER doctor put a BP monitoring cuff on my hand and kept it for 6 hours and by 6 AM it had reduced to

I suspect now that there is a very large impacted stool that is blocking the colon (I had not thought of this) and this is
causing a vicious chain of sea salt water retention/fluid accumulation. My kidneys were in perfect shape and there was very rapid elimination.
I tried the enema on the 6th day at home (this was my first try) but it was not effective (I did not pass the loads of tarry sludge
that many of you are talking about). I had perfect health (apart from constipation) till recently but am being treated
for hypothyroid and cholesterol, am highly sun sensitive (maybe mild lupus?), I used to have low blood pressure in my 20's, but now the BP is very labile
(almost perfect 80/120 BP morning) but increasing every evening (somedays to very high values like 125/187).

right now am terribly bloated and plan to get a colonic tomorrow at the medical center. although my post is late in the day, I hope it will help others with stubborn
fluid retention. also, now it seems the toxins are clogging also my kidney- the output is very low. The salt water flush always worked for me, but I think
(like the enema) was unable to dislodge the (probably large) stool that was blocking the colon. Indeed I have had chronic constipation for a long time.

smita

Post subject: Re: Incomplete colon cleanse and fluid retention
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:48 pm 

SWF - salt water flush
MC - Master Cleanse
MC - menstrual cycle

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have any diseases or are taking medication talk to your doctor.

If you do not have the book, buy it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:46 pm 

Hi JTW,

Thank you for your reply.
I was in the hospital recovering from Hyponatremia and Hypokalemia (low sodium and pottasium). A colonoscopy revealed
a blockage in the colon that was snipped off; my kidney function is ok, but I still have edema.
I had a hard time. The low sodium does prove that the SWF did not fail and the salt was not absorbed
in my system.

In reply to your questions:

(i) this was my second master cleanse. I did the earlier one for 7 days.
(ii) The SWF never failed for me (that is it was expelled from the anus).
(iii) i had 8-10 8 Oz glasses of lemonade (made using fresh lemon juice+ maple syrup+ cayenne pepper (a large pinch) and sipped 3 ounces of water
every hour.

At the moment, I am grateful that I have made it (and am out of the cleanse). Did anyone else have hyponatremia or hypokalemia ?

Best wishes,
Smita

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:48 pm 

Also, I suffer from anhidrosis (i.e. I cannot sweat). so I could not use the bathtub method with rocksalt or epsom salt for edema.
Smita

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:15 pm 

SWF - salt water flush
MC - Master Cleanse
MC - menstrual cycle

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have any diseases or are taking medication talk to your doctor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:17 pm 

SWF - salt water flush
MC - Master Cleanse
MC - menstrual cycle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:56 am 

Hi JTW,

Unfortunately, the steam bath/sauna won't help me as I have not "sweated" for many years.
Hyponatremia (with bloating) is opposite of dehydration. Apparently, it is not due to psyllium.
(Note that in India, we soak psyllium for 8 hours in water and eat the expanded psyllium. it does not absorb
water after that). I spent several days in the hospital and am glad to have made it.
Salt from SEF was not absorbed. In my case, the edema was due to low sodium (not excess). Its crazy.
My colon was cleaned by the surgeon.

I was on the brinks of collapse- My sodium was 121 (should be 136-145) and
pottasium 3.1 (which further dropped to 2.8). I do not know more.
Smita

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:57 am 

I meant pottasium dropped to 2.8

Hypokalemia is also crazy.
Smita

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:59 am 

also note that I am short build 4'11'', 106 pound and I was doing the MC for detox.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:02 am 

Diagnosis- was Hyponatremia and hypokalemia- they said electrolyte imbalance

Its a terrible situation and I am still recovering.

smita

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:14 am 

How much tea did you have?

Potassium is in the maple syrup, a lot actually, which also has calcium magnesium and a bit of salt. So I have to ask what maple syrup were you using? Brand and grade please?

SWF - salt water flush
MC - Master Cleanse
MC - menstrual cycle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 am 

1 tea everyday except (twice on day 8, 9, 10; as I had edema, I did not do the SWF on these days and in lieu took a second tea.)

I had Coombs Family Farms 100% pure organic maple syrup (dark amber grade C)
Note that 1 cup maple syrup has around 670 mg pottasium (but the daily pottasium recommendation is 3700 mg
revised to 4100 mg by USDA now and there's no way one can make it. I did a 10 day fast.

Smita

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:41 am 

although in the Master cleanse mailing list, edema is attributed to dehydration, drinking more water when you have
hyponatremia is dangerous (I am on fluid restriction). At this stage, I was overhydrated and was
trying to drink more water. Since my BP shot up to dangerous level, i decided to visit the ER. It took a couple of visits
before they found that my sodium had plummeted to 121 (its really scary).

I hope that explains,
Smita

PS: If you have edema for more than a couple of days, better check the electrolyte balance rather than blindly drink water

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:33 pm 

Do you have some other underlying health condition that you did not mention?
And what is your approximate age and weight and height?

I am not family with coombs, but I will say that some retailers don't know the difference between real maple syrup and corn stratch. I once had one guy tell me it was 100% maple syrup, but it actually was not, but they didn't know the difference. I am not family with coombs.

This diet you will consume more than one cup of the stuff in one day if you are drinking enough? 100ml of the maple syrup I use containes 320mg of potassium. And I disgree about the daily recommendation, I rarely if ever get that much in my diet. That's way too much, where did you find that recommendation?

What tea were you using smooth move?

Perhaps your body has something else going on, because sure the sodium will decrease, but water has salt in it, the maple syrup has salt, the cayanne has salt, and you will get a little bit from the SWF.

I truely believe if you were taking the psyllium and bentonite together with the MC this is what caused your problem. you were trying to do two cleanses at one time and your body could not metabolis it as you restarted your digestive system while still trying to cleanse and do the P&B shakes. I think it contributed to it.

Anyway, your case is very odd.. let me know more details about your previous health, though I suspect again that the P&B shakes together were part of the cause and should serve as a warning to others not to do them both at the same time.

SWF - salt water flush
MC - Master Cleanse
MC - menstrual cycle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:59 am 

Hi JTW,

I am female, age 52, height 4'11', weight 106 pounds (before edema, before MC), currently 111 lb with edema and fluid.

2) I was taking thyroid (hypothyroid, TSH 8.5) medication and statin (for cholesterol, my LDL was 200, HDL 85, triglycerides 61). Hence I was doing the cleanse and I continued these meds. I have not sweated since I was 10 years old and fever is a killer for me (but I don't get it often)
My blood test before the cleanse was normal (electrolyte balance). After the 10 days, my thyroid and cholesterol numbers were normal, but my electrolytes had dropped.
Hyponatremia is very dangerous.

3. I bought the maple syrup from the amazon site and its marked Dark amber maple syrup grade C.

4. I did not know about the colon blockage- my BP was very labile during the second cleanse and bothered me a lot. I suspect that that (not the psyllium or bentonite caused it, as it did not give any trouble previously)

5. about the pottasium requirement it is indeed over 3500 mg (a bit more for women is necessary- the hospital gave me a handout and asked me to keep 4100 mg
recommended by USDA-- a simple electrolyte supplement and taking a little salt may just do the trick.
For example, see
www.csrees.usda.gov/nea/food/pdfs/hhs_facts_sodium.pdf (see the percentage

6. If the specific gravity of the SWF is same is blood there is no retention (I mixed the Celtic sea salt in a quart of lukewarm water and had it) and it got flushed out.

6. My first MC (4 months before) was perfect- I had no trouble (though I did it exactly the same). Hopefully this edema will resolve soon.
Am tempted to get back on the cleanse to clear the edema, but feel I have to wait a couple of months at least.

Good luck to all of you. Am done on this for now. have a great day.
Smita