Here are some thoughts and recommendations based on my MC fast so far as well as what I found most useful from my initial research of the many other threads and articles I've read...Lemonade:
* Vary the lemonade. Try limes (I liked them better than lemons), make it over ice, drink it as a hot toddy at night.
* Try taking the cayenne as a "shot" separately from the lemonade. For me it's easier and the lemonade is then MUCH more enjoyable. I put the 1/10 tsp. cayenne into a little water (approx 1 tbls.) and "shoot" it immediately before it gets any hotter. Then I can take my time enjoying the lemonade right after. I'm sure it gets mixed inside. If you're worried jump up and down to mix it after you finish (a little joke)!
* Try to drink the lemonade on a schedule of every 2-3 hours. It keeps the blood sugar level constant and reduces/eliminates cravings. If you still have cravings and are taking less than the 2 tbls. of maple syrup (I use only 1 tbls to increase the weight loss) then add more syrup. If you still have hunger take the next drink sooner. Make sure you drink at least 6 x 8oz of them each day even if your not hungry.
* Get the best quality organic lemons/limes you can find regardless of the cost. The smaller, thin skinned lemons are ideal! Even if you spend $1 or more per lemon it is still a lot less than what you spend on one meal you would normally eat. If you can't find them, really scrub non-organic lemonslimes to remove the pesticide. Unfortunately, no one knows how much pesticide or chemical fertalizer gets absorbed throught the fruit's skin.Elimination/Detox:
* Celtic Sea Salt Fine Ground (Whole Foods) is a GREAT non-iodized salt for the SWF!
* Start drinking lemonade about a 30-45 minutes after you drink the SWF. It seems to speed things along.
* Try Smooth Move Chocolate flavor. It tastes pretty good, has no chocolate (it's a tea) and works just as well.
* Drink a LOT of water. You hear/read that all the time about every fast and every diet but it's even more important on the MC. It helps flush out the toxins and keeps you feeling full.
* Shower/bathe often, at least twice a day. Your skin is the largest organ of your body and it excretes toxins even if you're not sweating. Wash those bad boys away and make both your inside and outside "sparkly"!
* Try using a tongue scraper & brush often especially during the first days or until your tongue turns pink.
* Exercise every day. You'll feel SO MUCH better as well as have that motivational endorphan rush. Try to work up a good sweat as it helps increase the excretion of toxins. If you can't do a workout at least go for a long walk.Favorite Herbal Teas (Caffeine Free):
* Choice Organic Peppermint
* Numi Organic Moroccan Mint
* Celestial Seasonings Decaf Mandarian Orchard Green Tea
* Twinings Peach & Passion Fruit Herbal Tea (great cold as an iced tea!)Links:
Stages of Fasting:http://www.healthrecipes.com/fast21.htm
Coming off the MC:http://thelemonadediet.com/comingoffdiet.html
Raw Food Site:http://www.rawfoodsite.com
Bio K (Probiotic):http://www.biokplus.com
Water Calculator:http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwa ... ulator.htm
Kari Jo's 40 day Juice/MC (inspirational!) thread:viewtopic.php?t=643&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
NYT Article:http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/fashi ... ref=sloginReading Material:
* The Master Cleanse by Stanely Burroughs
- The "bible"
* Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin - Two young, hip girls gave it that title to be cool and sell books but it is in fact a great, well researched book about how your body processes food and even more important how that food is processsed by the food industry. It's an eye opener (especially the sections on the Meat, Chicken and Dairy industry) and even if you don't become a Vegan (I didn't) it will change your thinking and your life!
* You on a Diet - The NYT current best seller. Not really for the diet BUT pages 209-231 have a fantastic, low-impact set of exercises that you can do at home during the MC. They focus on the waist and large muscles. Read it in the bookstore and take notes.
* Raw un-cookbooks recommeded by Kari Jo:
Raw in Ten Minutes
The Raw Gourmet